The Assessment Standards Committee
The Assessment Standards Committee of Council fulfills the following functions:
- Supports the work of the Quality Assurance of Assessment and Statistical Information and Research units.
- Provides guidance to the Quality Assurance of Assessment and Statistical Information and Research units on matters relating to its work in establishing, maintaining and improving the standard and quality of assessments in the South African education system;
- Provides guidance to Council on all matters related to assessment standards and statistical research aimed at establishing and improving the standard and quality of assessments and examinations in the South African education system;
- Carries out the process of standardisation and statistical moderation of internal assessment and examination results for all qualifications that Umalusi certifies, including the Senior Certificate (SC) amended, the National Senior Certificate (NSC), the National Certificates (Vocational) NC(V), Report 190/191 and the General Education and Training Certificate (GETC): Adult Basic Education and Training (ABET) Level 4;
- Receives reports on the quality of assessments in Schools, TVET Colleges and AET centres and report on the same to Council;
- Recommends to Council the release of results of exit qualifications registered on the GFETQSF and certified by Umalusi. Review, on a regular basis, the statistical and educational validity of the moderation and standardisation policies, processes and procedures;
- Provides input to development of policies on the quality assurance of assessment;
- Where applicable, the committee reports and advises Council on issues pertaining to statistical research studies planned and/or carried out by the SIR unit.